The Westlander runs between Brisbane and Charleville. It runs through Toowoomba and the Darling Downs region before terminating in Charleville in outback Queensland. The train takes 17 hours to complete the 777km journey.
You can get connecting bus transfers at the following stations:
- Brisbane: local bus and rail services including trains to the Gold Coast, Trainlink NSW trains to Sydney (the Discovery Pass rail pass is valid on these trains) plus the Spirit of Queensland train to Cairns, the Tilt train to Rockhampton and the Spirit of the Outback train to Longreach (the Queensland Coastal Pass is valid on the Spirit of Queensland, the Tilt Train and the Spirit of the Outback (as far as Rockhampton) and the Queensland Explorer Pass is valid Spirit of Queensland, the Tilt Train and the Spirit of the Outback (as far as Longreach)
- Toowoomba: Bus Queensland coaches to Cunnamulla, Goondiwindi, Lightning Ridge, Tenterfield and Warwick (rail passes not valid)
- Dalby: Bus Queensland coaches to Cunnamulla, Goondiwindi, St George and Lightning Ridge (rail passes not valid)
- Miles: Bus Queensland coaches to Rockhampton (rail passes not valid)
- Charleville: Bus Queensland coaches to Longreach, Winton and Mount Isa (rail passes not valid); coaches to Cunnamulla and Quilpie (rail passes are valid on these buses)
The Westlander train features:
- on board lounge car serving light snacks and a range of refreshments (including beer and wine)
- complimentary in-seat snack pack
- toilets at the end of each carriage
The train features comfortable seating with a generous recline and a fold down seat-back table and there is a lounge car on board the train where you can enjoy a tea or coffee, or perhaps a beer or wine, while watching the outback scenery pass by out the window.
You can use the Queensland Explorer Pass to travel on the Westlander: